GHS Newsroom
How to use Facebook, Twitter and other tools to reach your readers
Daily Messenger named front page of the day (04/10/12)
email print
About this blog
By Joe Greco
GateHouse Media News & Interactive Division staff post best practices on social media uses, as well as information on the newest technology newspapers can use in the social media space.
Recent Posts
April 19, 2014 10:55 p.m.
April 19, 2014 5:15 p.m.
April 19, 2014 5:10 p.m.
April 19, 2014 11:25 a.m.
April 19, 2014 5:15 a.m.
0410 Daily Messenger.jpg
April 10, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Illustrations are a fantastic way to add an element of surprise on your front page. Usually colorful and organic, they add a splash of interest that differs from a documentary-style photograph.

Case in point is the illustration used on the front of the Daily Messenger for a story about young entrepreneurs.

Here, the size of the art work also adds to the impact of the page.

There's no credit for the illo, which leads me to believe this is a stock image. Either way, a credit always should be included.

I like how the color of the main and secondary headlines mesh with the color palette of the art. It's also appropriately anchored at the bottom.

UPDATE

Paul Gangarossa, production editor at the Daily Messenger, sent me a note saying that he is the artist that created the illustration. Here's what he had to say:

"I appreciate the nod as Front Page of the Day. Just wanted to let you know that I did the illustration using stock art as my templates. Basic photos of a light bulb and a reaching hand were the two "real" pieces, and the coloration/effects were done in Photohop."

Thanks again for the commentary. I appreciate the comments and criticism whenever you have the time."

Thanks, Paul. Nice job on the illustration!

Joe Greco is corporate design director for GateHouse Media.
Contact him at jgreco@gatehousemedia.com.?
Missed front page of the day? Find the archive here.

Recent Posts