A handy guide to some March Madness terms:
- The tournament can be called March Madness, the Big Dance, the NCAA tournament and the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship.
- March Madness and Big Dance are capitalized and don’t need quote marks.
- Do not capitalize the t when you write NCAA tournament. This is the generic name.
- NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship would be capped, however, as this is an official name.
- March Madness is trademarked by the NCAA. You cannot use the phrase in conjunction with a contest you're holding, for example. (Note that GateHouse's contest is called March Mayhem.)
- If you use Cinderella team, capitalize like so.
- Final Four, Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and First Four all would be capped. No quote marks are necessary.
- Bracketology has become an accepted word, and you don’t need quote marks around that either. Bracketology is the filling out of tournament brackets with predictions.