Shea’s Gas Station and Museum, a Springfield and Old Route 66 landmark which first opened in 1995 at 2075 Peoria Rd.,has long drawn Route 66 visitors.
Owner Bill Shea, 90, along with his family extending four generations, greet people from around the world traveling the "Mother Road". Admission is $3.00. Shea's relationship with Route 66 first began in 1946, when he operated a Texaco service station at 2001 Peoria Rd.
When he closed shop in 1955, he opened the next day in the form of a Marathon gas station a block away at 2075 Peoria Rd., and continued to sell gasoline there until 1982. Never "retired", Shea greets visitors while wearing his old Marathon uniform and has them sign into a guest book at the museum, where they can view an eclectic mix of everything from old gas pumps, oil cans, several wood telephone booths and countless Route 66 memorabilia.
View gallery here.