Research published Monday in the journal Pediatrics suggests that Umar's life-threatening ordeal is an increasingly common one. Specifically, the study found that the number of children being taken to emergency departments with battery ingestions is on the rise.
In total, more than 65,000 visits involving kids who had ingested batteries occurred over the past 20 years. In the overwhelming majority, button batteries were the culprits.
Compile a list of common household items or toys that could have batteries, especially the smaller lithium batteries.
Talk to local emergency room personnel and see if this has been a problem in your area. What are the signs that parents can look for?
Talk to medical professionals about how parents can minimize the dangers of children getting a hold of these small batteries. If possible, find a local family with a child who swallowed a battery.